Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mashed Potatoes

For me, mashed potatoes & gravy are a MUST at Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes aren't that complicated, but I did find a recipe from Cook's Illustrated that I love. However, it calls for boiling the potatoes with skins ON and then removing them before mashing. Way too much trouble for me! So, I peel them before I boil them. It probably isn't as good as their way, but I still think they are tasty! Here's my slightly altered version.


Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup half-and-half, warmed
1½ teaspoons salt
Ground black pepper

Directions:
  1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with cold water to cover by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are just tender when pricked with a thin-bladed knife. Remove potatoes and put in large bowl. Mash them up with a hand-beater (or whatever you prefer).
  2. Stir in the melted butter with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Gently whisk in the half-and-half, salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Note: If you must hold mashed potatoes before serving, place them in a crockpot! When I host Thanksgiving, we do dinner "buffet style". This has worked great to keep the potatoes piping hot!

No comments: