Monday, November 19, 2007

Toffee Dream

My sister Jessica is having Feast Week over on her blog and is posting Thanksgiving recipes all week long. Today the blog is featuring dessert recipes. So, she has inspired me to share with you a Getskow family favorite -- Toffee Dream. No Getskow Thanksgiving or Christmas is complete without this tasty treat! I've even been known to make it while visiting my hubby's family for the holidays in Oregon so that I could have a taste of my family traditions. Secretly, I hoped that the Piersmas would enjoy it enough that they wouldn't object if I kept making it for our holiday get-togethers. (I certainly wouldn't want to eat the whole thing on my own!) They seemed to enjoy it...but then again, I've never known a Piersma to dislike a dessert!

Honestly, looking at the ingredients, the recipe sounds strange. But it is soooooooo good. This is a frozen dessert, so you'll want to make sure that you make it several hours in advance so that it has a chance to get really cold and firm. You may want to double-wrap it in plastic wrap so that it doesn't pick up any off "flavors" from your freezer. Also, my mom simplifies this recipe by using 2 cups of Cool Whip for the 1 cup of heavy cream (so she doesn't have to whip the cream). The resulting pie is SWEETER, and I think that it freezes up a bit more quickly.

Toffee Dream

1/3 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/3 cup diced, toasted almonds
2 Tablespoons honey
1 cup heavy whipping cream
7 oz. marshmallow creme
5 chocolate-covered toffee bars, 3/4 oz. each, (like Heath), crushed

In saute pan, melt butter. Add flour, almonds and honey, stirring constantly until starts to brown. Set aside 1/3 cup mixture for topping. Press remainder into bottom and up sides of 8-inch pie pan. Cool.

In mixing bowl, whip cream until stiff. Fold in marshmallow creme and candy. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle reserved topping over top. Freeze until firm.

3 comments:

FishMama said...

But it's BETTER with real whipped cream.

I dunno....I might have to make that myself this year. I might be stuck eating it myself, though. Maybe I'll make a half batch or something.

Janel said...

I agree -- I do prefer it with real whipped cream.

I think you should make it. Go ahead and make the whole pie -- just wrap it really well in the freezer. With 5 kids, I imagine that at least one of them will come to their senses and enjoy it with you! Tell them it has CANDY in it!

Janel said...

I made Toffee Dream my way this Thanksgiving -- with real whipped cream (rather than Cool Whip) -- and used the Magic Bullet to chop up the Heath Bars. The MB pretty much pulverized the bars but I really liked the results in the pie. The toffee/chocolate was dispersed throughout so I didn't get any super-sweet bites with big chunks of toffee. I think I'll make it this way from now on.