Friday, October 10, 2008

Recipe Swap: Johnny Appleseed Cake

It is officially Apple Season and locally grown apples have made it to my grocery store shelves. The taste sooooo much better than those shipped from afar. I drive past a local apple farm when I take Ella out to preschool, but so far, I've never made the stop. One of these days I'll do it....

Anyway, yesterday Jessica at Life as Mom had her weekly recipe swap (a Thursday feature). The theme was Apple Recipes. Yeah, I'm a little late to the game, but I thought I'd go ahead and post an apple recipe from my childhood. I remember making this with my mom...and boy, did we love it! I made it a couple of months ago on a Saturday morning and it was as good as I remembered it.

Johnny Appleseed Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted butter or oil
1 3/4 cup applesauce
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg*
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves*
1 cup raisins

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 9-inch square pan. In large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until well combined. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until top springs back lightly when touched in center.

* You can substitute 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves if you wish.

1 comment:

FishMama said...

I was going to post this one, but I can't find the box of cookbooks. Glad you put it up. Recipe Swap is open until Tuesday!