Wednesday, December 08, 2010

A Dark Chocolate Discovery

When I was pregnant the first time around, I discovered that I preferred dark chocolate to milk chocolate. It was as if I had never thought about a preference before and the pregnancy cravings created one in me. These days, if given a choice, I always choose dark over milk.

Last week when perusing $10 Gifts or Less at Life As Mom, I checked out Lynn's recipe for flavored homemade hot cocoa. Her recipe calls for dutch-processed cocoa or Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, which is a "blend of natural and dutch-processed cocoas." Special Dark Cocoa? I didn't even know such a thing existed...but I knew that I had to try it.

Hershey Special Dark Dutch & Natural Cocoa 8 oz - 6 Unit Pack
I picked up some at my local Albertson's, and I couldn't resist trying it out on the frosting for Brett's birthday cake. It. Was. Amazing!  In general, homemade frosting is sooooo much better than storebought. I had made "chocolate" frosting with regular cocoa powder before, and it was good. But, the dark chocolate frosting was even better. I think Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa just might become a staple at our house. The frosting got rave reviews. For those who like dark chocolate frosting, here's what I did...

Dark Chocolate Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
1/4 cup milk

Combine sugar, butter, vanilla and cocoa in medium bowl. Add milk and mix until smooth and spreadable. Add additional milk if needed.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I know isn't that cocoa the best. I love it. I have not tried it in frosting, but now I will have to try it.